Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Confession

I have a confession. I love coffee. But that's not the end of it. I haven't quit coffee on my cleanse. I mean, usually I do. I have quit coffee for two years at a time (and somehow managed to make it every morning for the husband anyway). I have quit it during heavy work periods and early morning rising winters and under all sorts of adverse conditions and still managed to get by. But I just don't have it in me right now.

Here's what, I have goals for my cleanse, but quitting coffee just isn't one of them right now. I have finally decided it's a part of my life I don't really feel guilty about (whooaaa! Is there a part of my life I don't feel guilty about?) and if it's here to stay anyway I might as well embrace it. I drink one strong cup every single morning before yoga. Well, actually what I usually do is drink half a strong cup, get distracted, let it go cold, then pour another one on my way out the door and drink half of that too. But really, all the research I've done seems to say that coffee in moderation is A-OK. I mean, it can exacerbate certain conditions, but for the most part, they're not my particular issues. I should drink less of it just before a "Ladies' Holiday" I guess, but it seems to be wheat and dairy that affect those symptoms most. I have insomnia sometimes, but hey, I drink my coffee at 5 am, I bet it's not hurting my sleep so so much.

In any case, I know coffee is the antithesis of cleansing, but my nutritionist and I agree it may not be the thing I really need to focus on, and the cutting out of wheat, corn, soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, sugar and alcohol while carefully monitoring my nutrients, giving my digestive system a good rest and paying attention to sleep, elimination, skin and supplements will do me more good than not. Why worry about trivialities?

Long and short, I'm a veteran cleanser, I know my body well, and I know how to put together a good cleanse tailored especially to me. "They" whoever they are, can talk about coffee all they want, but I am my own unique organism and can decide what works for me in any given moment.

And now, I must hop into yoga clothes. I overslept! Which I never do. So much for coffee affecting my sleep. And hey, more on the nutritionist another time, because yeah I help all sorts of people with these same issues, but sometimes we all need an unbiased opinion and she is really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment